Sunday 16 December 2012

Hey there world.

As you can see, this is my first blog post, I thought I might as well start with a little introduction to me and the blog. Where to start, eh? I guess hello would be a good try. Here goes...
Hi. My name is Ciara. I'm a 15 year old girl with a brilliant talent of procrastination. I guess that's why I've started this blog. That and the fact that three people have told me that I should start one, including a careers advisor, so what have I got to lose?

Why am I starting this blog? That, my dear reader, is a question that I can only guess the answer to. I've always loved reading, writing, films and television and am constantly annoying myself and my friends/family with ways the producers, directors, publishers or writers could improve any book, film or TV show I happen to be occupying myself with at the time. I figured that if I say all of this over the internet, I can get it all out of my system and no one has to feign interest over my thoughts, so its a win-win situation, really.

There is another guess as well. Lets start with the fundamental fact at the very centre. I am not one of those people with a set-in-stone career path from the age of 7. At least once a month for God-knows-how-long, I've come up with a new career path for myself, ranging from police officer to equine physiotherapist, to radio DJ, to child counselling. However, this year I've had a career choice in my mind that has not wavered or faded away like all the others. A career that involves the very things I love the most, and have done since I learnt how to read. You guessed it, I'm a bookworm. 'An avid reader' as I like to call it, sounds more sophisticated, don't you think? Anyway, back on topic. My chosen career path (at the moment) is to work in publishing. Woohoo! Living a wild life here, I know!(sense the sarcasm). Whenever I tell anyone, be it relative or friend, I get a similar response. 'Wouldn't you rather do something a little more... interesting?' I haven't done a massive amount of research, but to be honest, I'm sure publishing could be a very interesting job. I mean, think of walking past a Waterstones or a WHSmith and seeing a window solely dedicated to advertising a book that you were partly responsible for making. I think it would be a brilliant feeling, but who knows until you try?

My school's careers advisor told me that 'Publishing is a very competitive business. You need to do whatever you can to gain an advantage, whether that be writing a book, gaining work experience, even blogging, anything you can do that can be put on your CV is another step closer to achieving your goal.' So that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm being pro-active. I am taking a step towards my goal. Let's see where it takes us, shall we?

Ta ta for now xox

No comments:

Post a Comment