Tuesday 18 December 2012

PayPal

I'm sure the majority of you know what PayPal is, but for those of you who don't, PayPal is a website that allows you to complete monetary transactions over the internet. It is designed for customer convenience and, in most cases, is a very helpful website.

My mum has used PayPal for a very long time, buying and selling items over eBay with no problems at all, however, the luck ran out when I started my own account. The main problem I had was that PayPal would not let me add my bank account, making any money I earned inaccessible. I had £50 sitting on the internet with no ability to use it. As you can imagine, this was highly frustrating. I had both my mum and dad attempting to help resolve this very major of problems, to no avail. I ended up spending about 2 hours entering and re-entering my bank account details to the point where I can now recite them off by heart, just to receive an error message stating that 'this bank account has previously been added to the site but could not be confirmed. Please contact us for help with this issue.' So I contacted them, and after a few hours, I received a completely useless email telling me how to confirm my bank account, which was not helpful, considering I couldn't add on in the first place.

Then there was the issue that, despite being allowed an eBay account where I can buy and sell as much as my 15-year-old heart desires, I can not have my own PayPal account until I'm 18, and I would have to send off a copy of my passport, but with the casual warning that 'if any details on my identification did not match the details on my previous account details, my account will be blocked for my own discretion and safety. Fabulous. I can't send off any ID because I need the £50 that's locked away, but I can't access the £50 until I send off some form of personal identification. And the vicious circle begins.

After almost a week of trying every option on the paypal.co.uk my mum rang up the customer services hotline. We tried to avoid this for as long as possible due to the fact that it is not a free hotline and would cost us a ridiculous amount of money. Mum was put through to a very friendly man from the Philippines, who instantly told us how to resolve the issues by sending the money to my mums existing PayPal account. Don't laugh, it's not as obvious an option as you would think. 

That is my personal experience of possessing a PayPal account, and other than this issue, the website is very good. Its navigable, user-friendly and the colour scheme is good, as well as many other compliments my ICT teacher would be proud to hear. According to my mum, the website is practical, convenient and a website she uses very regularly on both her tablet and on a laptop.It's also a must-have if you're considering selling items on eBay  but I would wait until you're 18 before opening your own, instead use a parents to avoid any complications with Terms and Conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment